(Closed Wednesday)

About DSUD

Double Springs      
Utility District    

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
(Closed Wednesday)
8:00am - 4:30pm

Emergency Numbers



Double Springs Utility District
PO Box 3034, 2677 W. Broad Street,
Cookeville, TN 38501


- History
- Contact Us
- New Customer\New Service
- Locate Lines
- Leak Adjustment Policy
- Our Schedule of Rates
- Water Outages
- My Hot Water Heater During a Water Outage
- Swimming Pools & Sprinklers Requirments
- Board Members
- Staff Members
- Thermal Expansion Notice
- Pressure Regulator
- How can I check for a Leak?
- Conservation Tips
- Winter Tips
- Want to know more?
DSUD's History
In 1963 a group of men in the Double Springs area volunteered their time obtaining a water district for this community. In the early years, the land of the Double Springs area was primarily devoted to farming. It would have been hard to imagine the booming community we are now. In January 1964 the Utility started with only 68 customers. Currently the utility serves approximately 2425 customers. Since the Utility has formed the Board & Employees have worked aggressively to enhance the quality of life for its customers by providing safe, clean and reliable water service. To this day we retain and practice the following goals and objectives: provide our customers with quality water, maintain reasonable rates and render fair, friendly customer service.
Return to Top

How to Contact Us
We are available Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, closed on Wednesday. We close 12:00 - 1:00 for lunch. If you have an after hours emergency please call the office at 526-3827. There is an emergency number available.

You are always welcome to come by the office to pay a bill, for questions or any comments. You can call us at (931) 526-3827, fax us at (931) 520-6193 or email us at
Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions
New Customer\New Service
RENTING OR LEASING: Come by the office to fill out a Customer Application for Service Form. Bring in one form of identifications, rental\lease agreement and a $70.00 service charge to be paid at the time for service requested. Please give us at least one working day notice to establish service.

OWNERS FOR EXISTING METERS: Come by the office to fill out a Customer Application for Service form. Bring in one form of identifications, Book and page number (often found on the warranty deed) and a $35.00 service charge to be paid at the time for service requested. Please give us at least one working day notice to establish service.

OWNERS FOR NEW METERS: Come by the office to fill out a Customer Application for Service form. Bring in one form of identifications, book and page number (often found on the warranty deed) and a $1500.00 tap fee to be paid at the time for service requested. Please give us at least one week notice to establish service.

Return to Top
Locate Lines
If you are digging undergrounds, please be aware of underground utilities. Electric, gas, telephone, cable or water lines could be found where you are digging. Damages to these lines are expensive, time consuming, inconvenient to Utility personnel and the customer and could be very dangerous, even life threatening. For a quick easy way to get lines located, please call 811, the Tennessee Call Before You Dig system. When you call, they will get information from you and contact all the utilities in the your area for you. It is much easier, cheaper and safest way to dig.

Return to Top
Leak Adjustment Policy
All service lines (water line between the meter and the house) and plumbing inside the house are the responsibility of the customers. Any leak you may occur will be at the your expense. All water registered at the water meter will be billed to the customer. The Utility does allow a leak adjustment to the customer’s account once in a calendar year. The following guidelines apply:

1.) The water leak must be repaired immediately
2.) The adjustment applies to a water leak
3.) A form must be signed by the DSUD staff and customer

The adjustment does not deduct the entire water bill. The Utility will average a three month consumption for the current time period from the previous year. You as a customer will pay that portion at regular rate, the remaining consumption will be divided between the customer and the Utility.

Return to Top
Our Schedule of Rates
As of May 1, 2022, our rates are the following:

0-2,000 gallons : $ 18.50
Each additional 1,000 gallons : $ 9.25
Owner’s Service Charge : $ 35.00
Renter’s Service Charge : $ 70.00
Return Check Fee : $ 20.00
Meter Set : $ 300.00
Residential Tap Fee : $ 1,500.00
1” Water Tap Fee : $1,700.00
2” Water Tap Fee : $3,900.00
Meter Test Deposit: $ 45.00
Re-Installation Fee: $ 20.00
Transfer Fee: $ 20.00
Reconnection Fee : $ 40.00
Tampering Fee: $ 100.00

*Water bills paid after the 15th will receive a 10% penalty.

Return to Top
Water Outages
Water outages are not likely but do occur. Water outage happens when the Utility is repairing or maintaining water lines. When there is an expected water outage, we will try to do one to all of the following to notify you in advance.

1.) make an announcement on County Giant 94.7 and\or WHUB
2.) post a sign at the office
3.) call and\or put door flyers
4.) automated call
5.) a post on our Facebook page

Most of the time, water outages are not planned. A water outage may occur when the Utility has an emergency situation and cannot notify and\or announce of water interruption. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you have a medical reason that water service cannot be interrupted, please notify us.

Return to Top
My hot water heater during a water outage
During a water outage your hot water heater should be fine if no hot water is used. When you use hot water, it will drain the water from the water heater and due to the outage, no water will be able to fill the tank back up. When this happens, the heating elements could be damaged. If the water outage is going to be longer than two hours you may want to cut the power off to the heater for extra precaution.

Return to Top
Swimming Pools & Sprinklers Requirements
The Utility does not give a discount on water used to fill swimming pools or sprinklers. We do ask you to let us know if you have a pool or sprinkler system for our records.

Return to Top
Board Members
The Double Springs Utility District is governed by three Board Members who serve a 4 year term. Each Board Member resides in the Double Springs’s serving area. The Board Members are appointed by the Putnam County Executive. Every January, the Board Members elect their own offices. The Board Members are responsible for establishing the Utility’s rates, financial decisions and policy making.

The Board meets on the second Monday at 2:30 pm at the Double Springs Utility District’s office located at 2677 West Broad Street, Cookeville. If you would like to attend the Board meeting, please contact the office at (931) 526-3827 to be placed on the Board meeting’s agenda.

The Board Members
President: Lynn McHenry
Vice President: Larry Rodgers
Secretary/Treasury: David Bush

Return to Top
Staff Members
The Double Springs Utility District has six dedicated staff members. The staff works under the DSUD’s mission and DSUD’s philosophy. DSUD has two Certified Operators and one certified Backflow Prevention Operators. A Certified Operator is trained and state certified to insure quality drinking water using approved procedures, with various samples and test. All the DSUD staff is trained in many areas from field to office to serve you more efficient and bring excellence to your water supply and service.

Angie Byers : Office Manager
Jenifer Moore : Office Manager Assistant and Customer Service
Caleb Mackie : Certified Operator, Field Maintenance
Chasity Bryant : Customer Service
Rowland Spellman : Certified Operator, Backflow Prevention, Field Maintenance
Josh Walkner : Field Maintenance

Return to Top
Thermal Expansion Notice
We have been installing double check valves on all meters to prohibit any water from back flowing into the main lines that could contaminate the water system. With this valve, thermal expansion could create and could cause damage to your lines. To prevent thermal expansion, test your pop-off valve located on your water heater, etc. Other information is available at office.

Return to Top
Pressure Regulator
A pressure regulator provides a set pressure in the home. Pressure regulators is located on your side of the meter and is your responsibility to install and maintain. These are often installed outside the meter box (on your personal service line) or at the entrance of your service line into the resident or business. Pressure regulators are inexpensive, can conserve water and save money on your water bill. More information is available at our office.

Return to Top
How do I check for a leak? A water leak could be in your service line from the meter to your house or business, under your house or business, in the plumbing or a toilet. If you suspect you may have a water leak, here are some ways to find out.

1.) Do not use any water (no dishwasher, washing machines, etc) and go to your water meter. Located on your water meter will be a red triangle or a red flower shape, these are called leak indicators. The leak indicator only moves when water is being used. If no water is being used and the leak indicators are turning, you may have a leak.
2.) If you are going to be gone for several hours, go to your water meter and take a meter reading. When you return take another meter reading. Subtract the two numbers to find amount of gallons used. If no one was at home, the amount of gallons should be zero. If there were consumption, this is a sign of a leak.
3.) Sometimes you may have a toilet that leaks. A toilet leak is hard to find. It may not be running continually and may not be obvious on the leak indicator. Sometimes you can hear water running and sometimes you don’t. Remove the lid from the tank of the toilet and drop food coloring into the water tinting the water in the tank. Do not flush the toilet for several hours. If any of the tinted water comes into the bowl of the toilet, then you may have a water leak.
4.) Keep in mind the water appliances in your homes. Applicances such as dishwashers, ice makers, washing machines, water heater, etc, have lines and valves suppling water to it. These appliances could obtain a leak as well.

If you do have a leak, you would want to get it repaired as soon as possible. The Utility does not repair any water lines on the customer side of the meter. The Utility does offer a Leak Adjustment for the water loss.
Return to Top
Conservation Tips

The average person uses 50-75 gallons of water every day. Becoming waste conscious you can reduce your usage. Saving water saves money and also helps protect our valuable resource. Here are some practical water conservation tips:

  • Clean driveways, porches and sidewalks with a broom not a water hose.
  • Don’t leave the water running while brushing your teeth, shaving and\or washing dishes by hand.
  • Take short showers instead of baths. A full bath uses approximately 36 gallons of water. A five minute shower using low-flow restrictor will use 15 - 25 gallons.
  • Install low-flow faucet aerators to faucets.
  • Install low-flow shower heads and toilets. Low flow toilets typically use ½ the water of a standard toilet.
  • Wash only full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher.
  • Place a nozzle on your water hose that will stop the water flow when not in use.
  • Check and repair leaks as soon as possible. A leaking faucet, dripping once per second, wastes six gallons of water a day. A leaking toilet can waste up to 5,000 gallons per day.
  • Capture rain water in a container to water animals and plants.

Return to Top

Winter Water Tips
  • Turn on the taps. Let the water drip in extreme cold. Even if the water does freeze, this will relieve some of the water pressure and keep the pipe from bursting.
  • Open cabinets. Leave the cabinets open under your kitchen and bathroom sinks. This keeps warm air circulating around your pipes.
  • Wrap the pipes. If your pipes are in areas that don't get warm air, consider insulating them with insulation sleeves or wrapping. You can get foam rubber or fiberglass sleeves at your local hardware store, or call a plumber to do it for you.
  • Seal the gaps. Cracks in your homes' outside walls or foundation should be caulked to keep cold air away from your pipes. Make sure all crawl space openings are properly closed and secured.
  • Drain your pipes. If you're taking a trip in the winter, consider draining your pipes to prevent them from bursting.
  • Keep Meter Box Lid in Place. Make sure the lid in securely covering your meter box.
Return to Top


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braile, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
  2. Fax: (202) 690-7442
  3. Email:
Return to Top

Want to know more?
The Board of Commissioners and the Staff Members take pride in serving quality water and service. There is a great deal of knowledge, loyalty and dedication to providing quality drinking water. If you would like to know more about the roles and duties of the Utility's Board and Staff, just let us know.
Return to Top
Double Springs Utility District
PO Box 3034
2677 West Broad Street
Cookeville, TN 38502-3034
Office & Emergency:(931)526-3827
Fax: (931)520-6193
Email the Office